So it turns out Portugal are pretty good at football. The 2016 European cup win was the first major championship the team has ever taken home – so obviously we immediately decided that Portugal was the only place we could possibly go on holiday and booked straight away…
No, in fact I fractured my ankle at the start of June and we had to postone our four week Californian road trip and find an easier holiday for rest and recouperation. And the beaches of Portugal looked so enticing we settled on 10 days at the bohemian Vila Monte Farmhouse in the Algarve. After a rather fractious journey from Paris to Faro (thats another story for another post) we arrived at the beautifully remote Farmhouse just in time for an afternoon swim and a rather large G&T from the honesty bar. Complete bliss.
The hotel is now part of the gorgeous Portugese DHM hotel group and was revamped earlier this year. We quickly settled in to our white washed abode on the upper floor of The Orangery (where oranges are picked daily to provide fresh juice at breakfast) and got to grips with the hotel’s amazing set up, which includes:
- Two pools – one exclusively for adults, the other family friendly
- Two restaurants – one an exclusive seafood affair with views to the sea, the other a more relaxed option boasting a wood fired pizza oven, salads and a Josper grill
- Nightly open air cinema programe – a brilliant selection, we watched West Side Story and Slumdog Millionaire whilst snacking on home made popcorn
- Beach excursions – for 20 euros per person the hotel will arrange a private boat to drop you at a remote beach, complete with umbrella, towel and water
- Dolphin adventure – watching wild dolphins hunt and play just off the coast of Tavira
- Gym and tennis court – we actually did make use of these, mainly so we could eat more of the delicious food in the evening!
- Kids club – various activities on offer during the day, including an hour of pool games every afternoon
- Lobby – complete with the most beautiful honesty bar we’ve ever seen and a small shop selling local food produce, salads and sandwiches
- Local area – fabulous fresh seafood straight off the boat in nearby Olhao and watching the locals in the beautiful old town of Tavira (and shopping for Indian block prints in Kozii)
Its not often that we plan to return to the same place, but I suspect we will be back at Vila Monte in the not too distant future!
*Come on Portugal!